Tomato Early Girl
- Features: An indeterminate variety produces high yields all summer. It has a bright colour and good flavour. Because of its continued supply of tomatoes throughout the summer, it’s become a favourite and reliable hybrid tomato.
- Maturity: 50 days / 113-170g (4-6oz) in average weight.
- Light: Plant in full sun.
- Soil and water: Well drained, moist soil. Best with compost. An all purpose, timed release fertilizer is recommended with a pH of 5.5 to 7. Tomatoes need even watering to prevent rotting. Water thoroughly but not too often (twice per week should suffice at first), and try to water early in the day so that plants will dry off before evening. This helps to reduce disease problems. Use drip or soaker hoses whenever possible. Water is used more efficiently this way and the leaves don't get wet.
- Spacing: Plant 60-90cm (24-36") apart in rows 120cm (48") apart.
- Height: 1.2-1.8m (47-70") in height.
- Garden use: Vegetable garden or raised garden beds. Most tomato plants can also grow in large container gardens.
- Growing tips: Planting depth: bury 2/3 of the plant. Plant your tomatoes quite deep into the ground. The deeper you root your plants, the stronger they will be as they grow. Plant tomatoes after the threat of frost has passed. Tomatoes thrive best when they are grown around chives, onions, parsley, marigolds, nasturtiums, carrots or garlic. Avoid planting tomato plants by cabbages and the potato family.
- Culinary use: Sandwiches, salads, stewed, sauces, salsas or just sliced and eaten. Also can be used for freezing.
Apply a mulch of straw or other loose organic matter 5-8cm (2-3") deep around the plants. This will reduce weed growth and help retain the moisture in the soil.
Click here for more information on growing tomatoes.