Tomato Beefsteak Red
- Features: This large, red beefsteak tomato brings a meaty, juicy tomato to the kitchen. Known for its flavour and size, this tomato is very popular for slices in summer sandwiches. Beefsteak tomatoes have a later harvest season.
- Maturity: 90 to 110 days / 397-680g (12-24oz) in average weight.
- Light: Plant in full sun.
- Soil and water: Well drained, moist soil. A time release fertilizer is recommended with a pH of 5.5 to 7. Water as needed.
- Spacing: Plant 60-90cm (24-36") apart.
- Height: 1-2m (39-78") in height.
- Garden use: Vegetable garden or raised garden beds.
- Growing tips: Planting depth: bury 2/3 of the plant. Plant tomatoes after threats of frost have passed. Plant your tomatoes quite deep into the ground. The deeper you root your plants, the stronger they will be as they grow. Tomatoes thrive best when they are grown around chives, onions, parsley, marigolds, nasturtiums, carrots or garlic. Avoid planting tomato plants by cabbages and the potato family.
- Culinary use: Sandwiches, especially when you need a thick, juicy slice. Also can be used for cooking or freezing.
Apply a mulch of straw or other loose organic matter 5-8cm (2-3") deep around the plants. This will reduce weed growth and help retain the moisture in the soil.
Click here for more information on growing tomatoes.