Pepper Baron Red Bell
- Features: The aristocrat of bell peppers, bright red Baron is distinguished by high yields of blocky, long fruits. Thick-walled, with sweet mild flesh.
- Maturity: 68 days / pepper is 10cm (4") in size.
- Light: Plant in full sun.
- Soil and water: Well drained. Prepare your soil with compost, manure and a fertilizer with a pH of 5.6 to 7.5. Well drained soil is very important. Avoid planting in compact soil. Water as needed.
- Spacing: Plant 45-60cm (18-24") apart, in rows 90cm (36") apart.
- Height: The plant 60-90cm (24-36") in height.
- Garden use: Vegetable gardens or raised beds.
- Growing tips: Plants thrive in weather temperatures of 15C and higher. Be careful of frost in the morning and evening. Cover your plants accordingly. Average water needs, water regularly but do not overwater. Mulching in raised beds and floating row covers can be an advantage to help young plants stay warm in the early spring where the weather is cool. Mulching also helps control the weeds. Make sure your watering is consistent. If watering pattern is irregular, it can harm and affect the plant’s ability to harbour fruit.
- Culinary use: Baron is excellent for eating fresh, roasting, stuffing and grilling.
Click here for more information on growing peppers.