Onion Red Zepplin
- Features: Big, full season red onion. Beautiful red onions that will make you think you’ve climbed the stairway to heaven. When started as a transplant will make large onions with dark red skin.
- Maturity: 100-115 days / onion size is up to 10cm (4").
- Light: Plant in full sun.
- Soil and water: Prefers soil with good drainage, and they grow best when the soil pH ranges between 6.0 and 6.8. Raised beds or raised rows called furrows made by mounding up soil are ideal, especially if your soil is heavy clay. Onions roots are shallow and not very efficient at taking up moisture, so they need a steady supply of water to grow without interruption. Although they actually recover well from drought and start growing again when watered, it is best to keep the soil consistently moist until the bulbs enlarge.
- Spacing: Plant transplants 15cm (6") apart in rows 30cm (12") apart.
- Height: -
- Garden use: Vegetable gardens or raised beds or furrows.
- Growing tips: Easy to grow. Plants will appreciate a starter solution of liquid fertilizer after planting. Watch for tiny black onion thrips and aphids, which suck sap from onion leaves. These are hard to see because they hide down in the folds and neck of the leaves. Also weak plants that slowly wilt may be infested with onion root maggots, the larvae of a common fly.
- Culinary use: Delicious in salads, soups, garnish, sides.