Eggplant Parmesan Recipe
- 15 ounces ricotta cheese
- 2 large garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 5 ounces grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 large eggplant cut into 1/8 to 1/4 inch rounds
- 1 (26-ounce) jar spaghetti or tomato sauce
- salt to taste
Combine the ricotta and egg in a small bowl and mix until smooth. Stir in the garlic powder, pepper, basil and rosemary. Set aside 1/3 cup of the Parmesan cheese. Salt each side of the eggplant slices and let stand for 30 minutes; rinse and pat dry. Evenly spread 1/3 cup of the tomato sauce in a 9 x 12-inch baking dish.
Layer half the eggplant slices, half the ricotta cheese mixture, half the Parmesan cheese, and half of the remaining tomato sauce in the dish. Repeat the layers. Top with the reserved 1/3 cup parmesan cheese. Bake, covered with foil, at 350 degrees for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until the cheese is lightly browned.
Yield: 4 to 6 servings