- Features: Large, thick-leafed variety that’s better for freezing or drying than regular chives. Mild flavour.
- Light: Plant in full sun.
- Soil and water: Well drained, nutrient rich soil. Keep soil evenly moist.
- Spacing: Space 20-30cm (8"-12") apart.
- Height: Grows 30cm (12") in height.
- Growing tips: Chives thrive in any fast-draining garden loam. Amend soil for growing chives with 2” of good garden compost or composted manure, and improve drainage in clay soils by adding coarse sand, perlite, or fine gravel or lava rock.
- Garden use: Containers, herb and flower beds.
- Culinary use: Snip leaves and chop finely to add to soups, salad dressings, scrambled eggs, and pasta dishes. Chop and add to softened butter to put on baked potatoes.