Tomato Red Robin
- Features: High yielding juicy cherry tomatoes, sweet flavour. Compact dwarf size plants. While Red Robin tomato plants will deliver the highest yields in outside containers, plants will set fruit in lower light indoor conditions and still deliver moderate yields of sweet cherry tomatoes. Determinate.
- Maturity: 50-55 days / fruit size is 2.5-4cm (1-1.5").
- Light: Plant in full sun, although tolerates part sun.
- Soil and water: Well drained, moist soil. Best with compost. An all purpose, timed release fertilizer is recommended with a pH of 5.5 to 7. Tomatoes need even watering to prevent rotting. Water thoroughly but not too often (twice per week should suffice at first), and try to water early in the day so that plants will dry off before evening. This helps to reduce disease problems. Use drip or soaker hoses whenever possible. Water is used more efficiently this way and the leaves don't get wet.
- Spacing: Plant 30cm (12") apart.
- Height: 20-30cm (8-12") in height.
- Garden use: Vegetable garden or raised garden beds. These smaller plants are ideal in container gardens and patio gardens.
- Growing tips: Bury 2/3 of the plant when planting. The deeper you root your plants, the stronger they will be as they grow. Tomatoes thrive best when they are grown around chives, onions, parsley, marigolds, nasturtiums, carrots or garlic. Avoid planting tomato plants by cabbages and the potato family.
- Culinary use: Ideal for salads and snacking.
Apply a mulch of straw or other loose organic matter 5-8cm (2-3") deep around the plants. This will reduce weed growth and help retain the moisture in the soil.
Click here for more information on growing tomatoes.