Tomato Better Boy
- Features: The Better Boy tomato has a smooth skin wrapped around its large size. It has a perfect balance of acidity and sugar, and has what is considered to be a classic tomato flavour. Indeterminate vine type.
- Maturity: 70-75 days / up to 227g (8oz) in average weight.
- Light: Plant in full sun.
- Soil and water: Well drained, moist soil. Best with compost. An all purpose, timed release fertilizer is recommended with a pH of 5.5 to 7. Water as needed.
- Spacing: Plant 76-90cm (30-36") apart.
- Height: Grows 1.4-2.4m (55-95") in height.
- Garden use: Vegetable garden or raised garden beds.
- Growing tips: Planting depth: bury 2/3 of the plant. Plant your tomatoes quite deep into the ground. The deeper you root your plants, the stronger they will be as they grow. Use slow-release fertilizer at planting time. Tomatoes can be harvested when they begin to show colour, as they will continue to ripen. However, the closer you can get to vine-ripened the better the flavour will be. Tomatoes thrive best when they are grown around chives, onions, parsley, marigolds, nasturtiums, carrots or garlic. Avoid planting tomato plants by cabbages and the potato family.
- Culinary use: Sandwiches, salads, cooking or freezing.
Apply a mulch of straw or other loose organic matter 5-8cm (2-3") deep around the plants. This will reduce weed growth and help retain the moisture in the soil.
Click here for more information on growing tomatoes.