Pepper Pinot Noir Purple Bell
- Features: Like its namesake, this attractive sweet bell shows a tremendously broad range of impressions. Large, blocky fruits blush simultaneously to shades of citrus, berry and cherry red for a beautiful range of colours. The thick-walled peppers are very sweet and firm.
- Maturity: 68 days / 13 x 10 cm (5" x 4") in size.
- Light: Plant in full sun.
- Soil and water: Water in moderation. Peppers are thirsty plants! They need a moderate supply of water from the moment you plant them until the end of the season. However, they won't tolerate saturated soil that waterlogs their roots. The soil must drain well, yet hold enough moisture to keep the plants in production. To maintain a proper balance, work some organic matter such as compost or humus into the soil when planting to enhance moisture retention. Use mulch to prevent excessive evaporation from the soil during the dry summer months.
- Spacing: Space 45-60cm (18-24") apart.
- Height: The plant 30-60cm (12-24") in height.
- Garden use: Grow in vegetable garden, raised beds or containers.
- Growing tips: Widely adaptable plants set fruit from cool to hot, humid conditions. Don't overfertilize. Use mulch to prevent excessive evaporation from the soil during the dry summer months. For support, loosely tie the plants to stakes using rubber bands to allow for the expansion that comes with growing. Don't overfertilize. This tends to make the plants develop lush foliage at the expense of fruit production. Just follow the directions for your favorite vegetable fertilizer.
- Culinary use: Fresh or freeze for later use in soups, stews and sauces. Ideal for stuffing.
Click here for more information on growing peppers.