Pepper Eljefe Jalapeno
- Features: Produces 3" thick walled, sweet fruits which ripen from green to red. Similar in appearence to 'Conchos but is said to have slightly larger fruit with narrower shoulders. Also said to be less prone to checking (cracks in skin). Tall, high-yielding.
- Maturity: 67-75 days to maturity, 90 days to red / pepper size is 2.5 x 6cm (1 x 2.5").
- Light: Plant in full sun.
- Soil and water: Well drained. Thrives in a soil with a pH of 5.6 to 7.5. Water as needed.
- Spacing: Plant 45-60cm (18-24") apart, in rows 76cm (30") apart.
- Height: Plant height is 46-61cm (18-24").
- Garden use: Vegetable gardens or raised beds. The compact plants grow well in containers.
- Growing tips: Easy to pick. If peppers grow fast, get plenty of water, and are harvested soon, they may be milder than peppers that stay on the plant a long time or that develop slowly and under stressful conditions.
- Culinary use: Great for nachos, in salsas and for a tasty pizza topping. They are usually eaten in the green stage, fresh or pickled, but when allowed to ripen, jalapeños are amazingly sweet.
Click here for more information on growing peppers.