Brussel Sprouts Franklin
- Features: Brussels sprouts are a favourite cool season crop. The green sprouts, or ‘mini-cabbages,’ grow along the thick stem.
- Maturity: 85-90 days
- Light: Plant in full sun.
- Soil and water: Provide well-drained, nutrient-rich soil that’s high in organic matter.
- Spacing: Plant 45-60cm (18-24") apart.
- Height: Plants get about 60cm (2') tall and 45-60cm (18-24") wide.
- Garden use: Vegetable gardens and raised garden beds.
- Growing tips: Fertilize regularly for best results. Keep soil consistently moist throughout the growing season. Typically, established Brussels sprouts need 2.5-4cm (1-1.5") of water per week, whether supplied through rainfall or irrigation.
- Culinary use: Cooked vegetable. Like its relatives cabbage and broccoli, brussels sprouts are filled with phytonutrients that help the body's natural defense systems protect us against disease. One-half cup of cooked sprouts contains a huge amount of Vitamin A and beta-carotene, both of which play important roles in defending the body against infection and promoting good skin.